March 24, 2013

1 Year Love Letter




My Sweet Eleanor,

From the moment we knew you were just a seed in my tummy, we were instantly smitten. Our first sonogram showed that you were dancing like the busybody baby you are. Also, you were spread eagle like the limber gymnast we think you might one day be. From the constant in-womb movement to the moment I first set my eyes on you, you were a dream.

I thought the love I had for your Daddy was the best that a girl could ask for. Then, I became a mother. Daddy and I had no idea just how powerful unconditional love could be. When we became a family of three, we couldn’t remember life without you… it was like you were always a part of us. As we navigated the newness of parenthood, you taught us new lessons everyday in patience, love, understanding, and humility.

The moment we laid our eyes on you, we knew you were something special. When the doctors laid you on my chest, you so alertly looked at me, ready for all that was to come. Even in the NICU, you showed us just how strong you were, withstanding the constant testing to ensure you were as healthy as we’d hope you’d be.

Eleanor, you are our sweet, independent, strong-willed, energetic, spunky, giggly, active, outdoorsy, and overly social baby girl. Every day with you has been a joy and your mere presence makes me realize just how precious life is. No matter how challenging or stressful my day is, I take one look at you and everything else melts away. I love you more than I ever thought imaginable.

You are a carbon copy of me on the outside but you undoubtedly inherited your Daddy’s social demeanor, humor, and FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out Syndrome). You love music, dogs, the outdoors, any chaotic scene, paper, bathtime, swimming, books, and dancing.

Eleanor, we are incredibly proud to call you our daughter, and we know are destined for nothing less than extraordinary. No matter what you become, Daddy and I will be your biggest cheerleaders, confidants, and support system.  We love you more than you’ll ever know, and we can’t wait to see what life has in store for you.

Thank you for teaching us just how precious life is - we have undoubtedly become better people because of you. In the past year, motherhood taught me that…

: Friends become family and are invaluable when you don’t have family that lives in Austin.

: Balancing a career and motherhood is more challenging than I ever thought possible.

: Naps and schedules make the world go round.

: Gratitude is powerful and I do my best to write down 3 things I’m grateful for every single day.

: There are a million different ways to approach motherhood, and to each their own.

: Parenthood is unbelievably emotional. As long as I can remind myself every day of just how lucky I am, all is good.

: As Eric Clancey so eloquently put it, don’t get too comfortable with a phase because it doesn’t last long. So true. Just as soon as we got used to your demeanor and schedule, you changed. Flexibility is key!

: Working out is now a treat. What I once took for granted, I now I have so little time for. I hope that you love physical activity as much as Daddy and I do.  There’s nothing better to cure a bad day, aggression, or complacency.

: You’re so serene when you sleep. I walk into your room every night before going to bed and feel your head. I know, I know, crazy mother. But I just can’t get enough of you and worry constantly that you’re too hot/cold.

: Size doesn’t matter. Growing up in the single digit percentiles, I never understood I was small until later in life. Think big and don’t compare yourself to your peers. Brilliancy, thoughtfulness, and ambition don’t discriminate size. While Daddy and I stand at 5”7 and 5”1, we don’t limit ourselves in any aspect of our lives.

: Our lives before you seemed so significant – complete independence, living life in the Big City, chasing dreams, a full social life, climbing the corporate ladder only to realize it sucks, starting over in a new city… little did we realize how you would put our lives into such perspective.

: Even though you don’t like to snuggle, sneaking cuddly moments with you are the best, even if you are sick. Honestly, there’s nothing better.

: Your smile is contagious. Family, friends, or strangers – you are a beacon of laughter.


Motherhood is the most gratifying role. I can’t imagine life without you – you are the reason I was put on this Earth. Thank you for your love, smiles, and belief in me. Eleanor, you are the love of our lives, and we’re thankful every day for you and your love. You have taught Daddy and me more than we ever thought possible, and we look forward to being by your side as you journey through your beautiful life.

I love you… Happy 1st Birthday, Sweet Eleanor!
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Love this!! What a lucky girl. If you can even imagine, it only gets better from here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post from a great mom!! You both are amazing parents - happiest birthday Ellie!!!

    ReplyDelete