May 12, 2013

Motherhood & Magic Words

A second Mother's Day under my belt! Regardless of the fact that I've been up with her the last few night for hours on end, battling fussiness from cutting new teeth, whining and temper tantrums because she can't communicate, etc - I wouldn't have it ANY other way.

"Mother" is absolutely the best title I've been given. While it comes with challenges each and every day, the rewards far surpass them. I thank my mother for leading such an amazing example - I still shake my head and ask "How did she do it?" I also admire the women that she learned from, my grandmothers, great grandmothers, and great great grandmothers. 

Speaking of which - I recently had to give a short speech at a work event. I was to tell a story of my childhood where I learned a moral or lesson. Here goes:

As most folks know, I have been incredibly blessed to have had so many grandmothers in my life. At one point, I had 7 living grandmothers. Unbelievable, right? I love all of them dearly and learned (and am still learning) so much from each of them. I do, however, hold a very special place in my heart for Grandmother Ruth. 

Ruth was the most prim and proper woman I've ever met. She valued family, put others first, and gave the term "polite" a whole new meaning. From as far back as I can remember, Grandmother insisted that we (me, my sister, and cousins Katherine and Elizabeth) use our "magic words." It was almost like a game - as she quizzed us, we would rattle off as many magic words as we could remember: please, thank you, you're welcome, excuse me, etc. Age didn't discriminate this little game - Ruth continued to impress upon us the importance of respect and manners... literally until I was in college. 

I was studying for finals in college when I received the call that Ruth was in the hospital and likely wouldn't make it much longer. I high tailed to to Topeka from Lawrence to visit her. When I arrived at the hospital, Grandmother Ruth was sound asleep in her hospital bed. I went in and waited for her to wake. When she did, Ruth sort of blankly looked at me... after a long pause, she took my hand, and said, "Please don't ever forget your magic words." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - I think I did a little of both. Ruth passed away that evening, and those were her parting words to me. 

I think back at my grandmother constantly worrying about her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren inheriting her politeness, and I can't imagine a better trait to pass on. Ruth Carmean, a shout out to you this Mother's Day. I spend every day teaching my daughter your invaluable lessons on manners and respect. While she can't verbally communicate yet, you'll be proud to know that she can sign "please" and "thank you" at 13 months old.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful women out there doing one of the most challenging yet glorifying jobs out there;)

Great Grandmother Ruth and her lovely daughter, (Grandma) Betty.






4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Grandmother Ruth is beyond proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just now catching up on your blog and am wiping away happy tears.. Beautifully said and that picture is exactly how I remember her. Love this and you are an amazing mama!

    ReplyDelete